Discomfort is Minimal and Short-Lived
- BOTOX® and Dysport™ injections no discomfort or downtime from your usual activities.
- Dermal fillers contain a numbing agent (lidocaine) which takes effect immediately upon injection. You may feel related residual numbness for up to 1-3 hours afterward.
- Temporary swelling and/or slight bruising are common side effects with tissue filler treatments. Itching, discoloration, and tenderness at the injection site are other possible side effects that all should subside within 24-48 hours.
Tips to Minimize Temporary Bruising
Bruising is typically the biggest concern following injectable treatments, particularly in the under-eye hollows. Bruising in this area is more common, more pronounced, and longer-lasting than anywhere else. It could realistically take 7-14 days to completely diminish in this area.
Tips to alleviate bruising:
- Apply cold compresses for the first 24-48 hours after treatment.
- Do not use aspirin, aspirin-related products, or omega-3 fatty acid supplements for 2 weeks following your treatment. Also, avoid higher doses of Vitamin E.
- Take Arnica and/or apply it topically immediately following treatment and continuing until bruising is resolved. Arnica is a natural homeopathic remedy for reducing pain, swelling, and bruise discoloration.
- Use makeup concealers to cover any bruising or discoloration. Darker bruises may require a neutralizing method followed by a foundation concealer.
Additional Recovery Tips
- Do not apply makeup or creams for at least 6 hours following treatment with dermal fillers if your skin is sensitive or easily irritated.
- Do not expose the treatment areas to extreme heat (i.e., tanning beds or sauna) for at least 2 weeks, as this may affect dermal filler product durability.
- Do gently massage the filler treatment areas for up to 2 weeks, if needed, to avoid unevenness.
Touch-Up is Complimentary
On the rare occasion that you require a touch-up after your initial treatment, Dr. Macdonald provides this service at no charge. Patients must first wait 5-7 days post-treatment to allow for full realization of BOTOX® or Dysport™ muscle-neutralizing effect.
If you still notice a slight asymmetry between the right and left sides of your face or any other irregularity in your result, then call us to schedule a follow-up.