BOTOX® and Dysport™ are products containing botulinum toxin, a purified protein, and neurotoxin. It has been used therapeutically for more than 20 years to treat a variety of medical conditions. It was originally used to treat eye conditions (such as blepharospasm), facial ticks, neurological voice problems and various muscular problems in the body.
The botulinum toxin is used in such small amounts that generalized systemic side effects are avoided.
Dr. Macdonald uses these neurotoxins to treat the following medical applications—often covered by your insurance:
- Excessive Sweating (hyperhidrosis) – underarms, palms of hands, feet, and hairline/scalp
- Migraines or Chronic Tension Headaches
- TMJ syndrome
Excessive Sweating (Hyperhidrosis)
What Causes Excessive Sweating?
This embarrassing condition can severely damage your self-esteem. It often makes you feel insecure, self-conscious and anxious in many social or work-related situations.
This ailment, known as hyperhidrosis, is a very common medical condition, occurring in up to 1% of the population. The sweat glands simply run on overdrive.
Excessive sweating can occur in several areas of the body:
- Palms of the hands
- Soles of the feet
- Face (usually forehead)
Your body’s sweating is controlled by the sympathetic nervous system. With hyperhidrosis, the sympathetic nerves are unpredictable and completely uncontrollable.
The result is frequent, chronic, excessive sweating. This problem can significantly negatively impact your lifestyle, professional success, and personal happiness.
Treatment Expectations for Hyperhidrosis
Hyperhidrosis is a legitimate medical condition with damaging physical and emotional effects. Use of BOTOX® for resolution of chronic, excessive sweating is FDA-approved.
Injections of botulinum toxin (BOTOX® or Dysport™) temporarily block the transmission of chemical signals from the nerves to the sweat glands in the skin. When the nerve signals to the sweat glands are interrupted, the severe sweating stops.
The treatment itself involves minimal discomfort and consists of:
- Applying ice for vasoconstriction and numbing
- Applying topical anesthetic to further increase numbing comfort
- Targeting select injections into the skin of the treatment area
- Treatment takes less than 30 minutes
- No downtime needed for recovery except that you may have some mild bruising and tenderness at the injection points for a few days
Your treatment may be reimbursed by your health insurance, depending on your provider and coverage. If not, you may be able to receive therapeutic treatment for your condition at a discounted price. Take advantage of discounts direct from the product manufacturers, Allergan and Medicis. Call or contact us for details.
The International Hyperhidrosis Society is a non-profit organization that strives to improve the life quality of those affected by excessive sweating. This too is a great resource for you.
In terms of specific relief onset and longevity:
- Excessive sweating is partially relieved within 1-2 days of injections
- Full results are evident in 5-7 days
- Initial results vary but may last 4-5 months
- Subsequent treatments may progressively last longer, often 8-12 months
- Periodic re-treatment is required to renew your excessive sweating relief
Results from BOTOX® injections for hyperhidrosis clearly show its physical effectiveness in temporarily preventing excessive sweating. The real relief is emotional, from:
- No longer staining and ruining clothing
- No longer feeling embarrassed and insecure
- Renewing confidence and self-esteem
- Diminishing social isolation
- Lessening anxiety about this awkward condition
Visit the real cosmetic patient experiences blog to read the story and see results of one of our female patients. She kindly shared her journey and eventual relief from excessive underarm sweating.
BOTOX® injections from expert injector Dr. Michael Macdonald have changed her life for the better. Dr. Macdonald also receives these treatments himself—for him, each treatment now lasts approximately 12-14 months. This has dramatically changed his life for the better too.