Are you wondering if it’s worth the cost to see a facial plastic surgeon for your injectable procedures? Yes, it absolutely is worth it—You are worth it! You may be surprised to find that, in the long run, it likely saves you money and time.
Dr. Michael Macdonald is an expert injector and is often sought out to train other medical professionals. In 1995, he pioneered the first anatomical study conducted to provide a consistent standard of care for BOTOX® injection techniques.
His research and findings are published in a BOTOX® medical paper that is still referenced by his peers in the field today.
Understanding of all 43 facial muscles and the expressions they work to convey is critical for optimal results. Visit Injectables FAQs to discover why a facial plastic surgeon is your best choice. Read about our MAC·MD aesthetics™vip rewards program to learn about how to save money on repeated, periodical treatments.
About Botox® & Dysport™ Neurotoxins
BOTOX® and Dysport™ injectables are safe, effective, FDA-approved cosmetic treatments for minimizing fine lines and wrinkles. Both products contain a neurotoxin called botulinum toxin (type A).
This neurotoxin is injected into the muscle beneath the skin. It reduces or eliminates "dynamic" wrinkles such as those triggered by repeated squinting, frowning or raising of the eyebrows.
Elimination of these wrinkles is accomplished by interfering with the muscle's ability to contract. This targeted relaxing of the muscles prevents them from producing wrinkles in the treated areas.
These treatments are particularly effective in 3 main areas of the face:
- Glabellar folds (vertical wrinkling between the eyebrows, sometimes extending to "bunny lines" at the sides of the nose)
- Horizontal forehead wrinkles
- Crow's feet (wrinkling at the outer corners of the eyes)
Are you curious about how your face might be improved by some wrinkle smoothing with BOTOX® or Dysport™? Try the BOTOX® treatment visualizer below to see how aesthetic medicine might smooth your wrinkles.
Smooth Brow and Forehead Wrinkles
The upper face frequently reflects the earliest signs of aging. Wrinkles between the eyebrows (glabella) and in the forehead can become deep grooves if left untreated. By your mid 30’s to 40’s, these wrinkles may appear as a permanent, angry scowl.
Sometimes, deep grooves require combination therapy to achieve optimal results. BOTOX® or Dysport™ first relaxes the muscle, then Restylane® or JUVEDERM® fills in the residual deep scowl creases. See midface and lips for filler treatments to restore volume in those areas of your face.
BOTOX® or Dysport™ can also provide a temporary mini brow lift. Precise injections targeted at selective muscles under the eyebrow lift a sagging or “heavy” brow. This produces a more rested, open-eyed appearance. For a more permanent solution to your “heavy” brows, Dr. Macdonald also performs endoscopic surgical brow lift.
Soften Wrinkles Around Your Eyes
BOTOX® or Dysport™ injections lessen the appearance of crow’s feet branching out from the corners of your eyes. These fine lines are most noticeable when we smile a real, authentic smile.
This visual display of true happiness is critical to human communication and not desirable to fully erase. Therefore, the goal is to soften these fine lines without totally eliminating them.
Lessen Under-Eye Hollows or Dark Circles
Dr. Macdonald injects tissue filler into the hollow area below the eyes (tear troughs) or along the cheekbone. The type and amount of filler used and the precise location of injections are determined by individual assessment.
Typically, in this under-eye area, Dr. Macdonald prefers Restylane® or JUVEDERM®. No matter what dermal filler is chosen for treatment in this area, you should recognize the high likelihood of temporary bruising.
If you prefer a more permanent improvement in the look of your lower eyelids, Dr. Macdonald also performs lower blepharoplasty (eyelid lift) surgery.
Learn more about how hyaluronic acid-based dermal fillers are also used to add desirable contour and volume to your midface and lips.
Treatment Expectations for Brows and Eyes
Injectable treatments are quick and non-invasive. Discomfort is minimal. Some patients don’t even feel the few tiny injections at all.
- For highly sensitive patients, ice packs are used just prior to treatment to numb and constrict blood vessels in the injection area.
- Fast-acting topical numbing cream is applied to all patients at planned injection sites.
- For BOTOX® or Dysport™ injections, Dr. Macdonald uses his expert injection “threading” technique to minimize tiny injection pokes.
- For Restylane® and other hyaluronic acid injections, local anesthetic (lidocaine) is formulated into the injectable product and thus administered along with the injection.
- Treatment takes 10-30 minutes, depending on products used and areas treated.
For recovery tips, visit our Patient Prep section and learn what to expect after your injectable treatment. The filler portion of your injectable treatment usually requires up to 48 hours of downtime. Otherwise, your lifestyle and activities should not be impeded in any way.
After wrinkle relaxation treatment with BOTOX® or Dysport™, your face projects a more youthful, rested, happy appearance.
- Fine lines and wrinkles are smoothed
- Partial results are seen in 1-2 days
- Full results are realized within 5-7 days
- Results are temporary and fade over time
- Results generally last 4-5 months
- Repeated treatments are needed to maintain desired results.
Results of tissue filler treatment under your eyes with Restylane® or JUVEDERM® also gives you a more rested and youthful look.
- Deep hollows under your eyes are filled
- Appearance of dark circles are faded
- Results last roughly 8-14 months
- Treatment effects can be reversed if you don’t like the outcome
- Treatments must be repeated to maintain your desired results
Dr. Macdonald emphasizes realistic expectations of what tissue fillers can achieve in the lower eye area. It is possible for temporary bruising to be a substantial factor and sustained longer than 2 weeks. Patient results and satisfaction can vary widely.